Three Sure Signs Of Carpenter Ants On Your Grays Harbor County Property
May 14, 2021
The trick to stopping pest problems early is to not wait for them to present themselves before you act. Simply put: prevention is better than reaction. To avoid the damage and issues that pests can cause, you need to know how to prevent them long before they invade. That said, if you notice the obvious signs of wood-boring pests, you need to contact experts right away.
Carpenter Ants: What You Need To Know
While people tend to worry more about termites than ants when it comes to wood damage, there are indeed ants out there that can cause serious property damage. While most ants are harmless scavengers that mostly cause problems when they contaminate our food, carpenter ants cause all those issues and more. They chew through dead or decaying wood to make tunnels for their eggs, a way of ensuring that their offspring will be warm and protected enough to hatch. But, unlike termites, carpenter ants don’t eat the wood. They simply chew up and spit it out to mold their structures, which means they will forage and contaminate around a property just like other ants do. It’s in these ways that carpenter ants are dual threats: capable of damaging property and contamination.
Signs Of Carpenter Ant Activity
Again, it’s important to act on proper pest control long before the signs of an infestation are obvious. That said, all of the following are good indicators that an infestation of wood-boring pests has not only moved in but has been there for a while:
- Holes: Unlike termites, which usually attack woods from below ground and, therefore, keep their damage hidden, carpenter ants will bore straight in from the surface. If you notice small, porous holes in surface woods around your property, it’s likely not termites.
- Frass: The fine sawdust that is a result of wood-boring pests can sometimes be spotted in piles or lines around a property.
- Warped wood: Most often, the initial signs of damage aren’t obvious. Instead, the first outward sign of property damage people see is often the warping or buckling wood that’s a result of damage caused by pests.
How Infestations Start
Notice that most of those signs are ones that occur after pests have already been there for a while. What’s more important is knowing how infestations start and what you can do about these factors. All of the following are important to address around your property:
- Food: Ants are attracted by sugary aromas and protein-rich food. Not only should you make sure no food or trash is left out or easily accessible, but you should also deep clean for crumbs and spills regularly. Don’t forget about pet food and areas under heavy appliances.
- Moisture: Ants are also attracted to areas with build-up moisture. Plus, water damage in your walls can create openings or weakened woods that carpenter ants can easily get through.
- Access: Speaking of easy access, tiny pests can squeeze through even slight cracks or holes. Check your exterior walls frequently and make repairs as necessary.
Let Beacon Pest Control Remove Them
Rather than waiting for serious damage to become obvious, or trying to handle all the early prevention tips on your own, instead, let experts help you. At Beacon Pest Control, we know how to spot the early signs of infestations, the ones you need to be aware of to stop more serious problems from forming. Not only can we eliminate existing pest populations, but our proven treatments can also keep future infestations from happening, too. Contact us today to get started on a thorough inspection, so we can catch problems long before they happen.
For total control over carpenter ants and other destructive pests, turn to Beacon Pest Control right away.